Helping Victims

The District Attorney's Victim & Witness Assistance program provides services and support to victims of crime.  If you were a victim of a crime, let us start of by saying we are sorry for any pain or loss you have suffered as a result of this crime.

As a victim, you have rights.  You have the right to notice of court proceedings if you make a request in writing.  I have enclosed a Victim's Request for Notification form.  Please complete and return it to our office within five (5) business days if you wish to receive notification.  We must have valid contact information to provide notice. You must update the information if it changes.  If not, you will not receive notification. For example, if the defendant is in custody and requests bond, you have a right to be notified and to be present for the hearing but we must be able to reach you.

Your input on sentencing is your right as a victim. Please fill out the enclosed Victim Impact Statement.  Describe how this crime has affected you and what you would like see happen in the criminal justice system. 

You have the right to seek restitution for any financial loss due to this crime.  The enclosed Request for Restitution Form documents this. Include copies of bills or estimates for any out-of-pocket expenses you may have incurred.  If you received injuries, please describe those injuries and include medical treatment records.  This information will be public record. The Primary & Secondary Contact form which aids us in contacting you for restitution purposes will not.

You may be eligible for Georgia's Crime Victim's Compensation Program if you have incurred any medical, counseling or funeral expenses.  If you wish to fill out an application, please contact our office.  Your application must be submitted within one (1) year of the date on which the crime occurred. You may also call the State's Victim Compensation Program directly at (404) 657-1956.  If you apply directly, please furnish our office with a copy of the application.

If you had any property taken as evidence, you may be able to have that property returned.  However, if the defendant is convicted any evidence introduced at trial cannot be released until the appeals process is completed. 

As the victim, or the parent of a minor victim, you also have the sole right to choose whether or not you (or your minor child) consent to be contacted or interviewed by anyone on behalf of the defendant.  Please review the enclosed form.

I've also enclosed an Informational Guide.  The guide explains each stage of the judicial process and your rights.  It also provides important contact information for various services which may be available to you and your family.

Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any questions or if I can be of assistance.


Wendy Knight, Director
Victim Services

Continue to Victim Services